The author's house is a machiya-style house in Itamigo-cho, which is a sake brewery and also serves as a store and residence along the Osaka-michi road. The house has been used as a residence to this day, although it has been somewhat affected by the earthquake. Although no building tag has been found for the house, there is a record of "daiboshi" as the brand name for the annual tribute sake in 1842. (Note 1) We do not know what kind of house was built at that time, but during the Meiji period (1868-1912), Ya no Umenosuke bought the brewery stock of "Daiboshi" (a brewery owned by Oimatsu) in this area and took over its management. It can be inferred that the sake brewery was operated at the same location.
In the past 10 years, companies that once owned large sake breweries have sold a large amount of land, and old machiya houses have been replaced with large buildings and condominiums, resulting in a rapid decline in the number of townhouses that remind us of the past. In addition, it is becoming more and more difficult to find out the status of machiya houses in those days because of the convenient location of Itami in the vicinity of a large city and the construction of condominiums one after another. Therefore, we thought it necessary to elucidate the characteristics and uniqueness of Itami Township machiya through interviews and surveys with the remaining houses.
When did the Itami Gocho townhouse dai-boshi, which exists in Itami 5-chome as if it were an ancient and colorful townhouse, begin to exist?
The author's house is located in Itami-Gocho, which leads to Osaka, along the Osaka-michi highway.
Unfortunately, there were no building tags or other documents left behind, so we can only guess, but it is likely that the tags have been lost due to repeated renovations.
By examining old maps, we can determine how long the house has existed on this land.
Here is an old map made during the Bunroku period.
Inside the red circle is the location of this house. You can see the characters for "Fukuenji. The road in front of the Fuenji Temple was called Osaka-michi, or the main road to Osaka. Therefore, the street was lined with merchant houses. It is possible that this Daiboshi was one of these merchant houses.
Next, let's take a look at the "Illustrated Map of Itami Township, Yanagisawa Yoshiyasu Territory, 7th year of Genroku" included in the "Revised Illustrated Map of Itami Old Maps" edited by Mr. Tetsuhiro Yagi.
The area circled in red is where Daiboshi is located.
Owner's name is Yoneya Yoziemon, 1694. The neighbors always called him Yone-ki. Yoneya Kiemon is probably the origin of Yoneki. The house had been in existence for 326 years, since it and the next-door neighbor were of similar age. I believe that even a part of the house remains in Daiboshi. You can walk in and see the old beams and the old walls and hear the whispers of a 300 year old house.
Later, the rice store was converted into a sake brewery.
The map from 1915 shows Daiboshi as the southern warehouse of Risaburo Takeuchi.
Daiboshi is originally the brand name of Oimatsu's sake.
In the Meiji era (1868-1912), Yano Umenosuke, a clerk at Shirayuki, borrowed Daiboshi's stock and started a sake brewing business.
However, the business was closed at the end of the war. At the same time, the Yano family bought the Daiboshi house from the Takeuchi family and used it as their residence.
This time, it has been reinforced to be earthquake resistant and revived as the new Daiboshi shared office.
We hope that many people will make use of it.
Phone： (072) 743 9095
(072) 703 0410
Business Hours 9:00～22:00
Closed: Sunday, Holidays
address：5-2-27, Itami, Itami-shi, Hyogo, Japan